An easy way to choose the best content is to check the rating given to that content. Television programs, video games, films and comic books have specific age ratings. Ratings of comic books will help us to decide if that particular comic book is suitable for young children. We can find the rating for a comic on the back or front cover of a comic or the publisher’s website or in comic book solicitations. It is always better to purchase comic books after checking their rating.
Comic Book Rating Systems
In 1954, the Comics Code Authority was formed, after there was a concern regarding the horror content found in comics. So, the comic book industry introduced the Comics Code Authority to regulate the content in comic books. The Comics Code introduced a set of criteria that ruled what should be there and what should not be there in a comic. By 2000, most of the comic book publishers stopped following the Comics Code Authority and started to follow the new rating system.
In modern-day rating, two systems are commonly used. The DC Comics Rating System and the Marvel Comics Rating System are the two rating systems. These two systems have both similarities and differences.
The DC Comics Rating System
Most of the publishers use this rating system which was introduced in the year 2011.
- E-Everyone – suitable for all ages – with some comic mischief
- T-Teen – suitable for readers up to 12 and above – with mild violence
- T+ – Teen Plus – suitable for readers up to 15 and above – with moderate violence
- M –Mature – suitable for readers of age 17 and above – with content suitable for adult readers
The Marvel Comics Rating System
In 2001, Marvel withdrew from the Comics Code Authority. Inspired by ratings used by the Motion Picture Association of America, Marvel introduced their rating system. Marvel’s First Rating System, Marvel’s Second Rating System, and Marvel’s Third Rating System are the three rating systems followed by comic books until Marvel revised the rating system in the year 2005.
Marvel followed different rating systems over the years. At present, they follow the rating that is given below.
- All ages – suitable for all ages
- T – suitable for most readers
- T+ – Teens and up – suitable for teens and above
- Parental advisory – suitable for 15 and above
- Explicit content – suitable for adults